Internment Camp Locations

Gila River Relocation Center

Opened: July 20, 1942

Closed: November 10, 1945

It was located about 50 miles south of Phoenix and 9 miles west of Sacaton in Pinal County, Arizona. The camp included 2 separate camps located 3-1/2 miles apart which were Canal and Butte Camp. The evacuees were predominantly from Turlock, Tulare, Stockton, and Fresno assembly centers.

 

 

Granada Relocation Center

Opened: August 24, 1942

Closed: October 15, 1945

The camp was located in southeastern Colorado 140 miles east of Pueblo. It was 16 miles east of Lamar town and 15 miles west of the Kansas border. Even though the center contained the smallest population among the 10 camps, it was the tenth largest city in Colorado when it was chosen. The evacuees were from the Merced and Santa Anita assembly centers.

 

 

Heart Mountain Relocation Center

Opened: August 12, 1942

Closed: November 10, 1945

The camp was located in Park County, northwest Wyoming, 12 miles northwest of the town of Cody. It was the third largest city in Wyoming and contained the maximum population of 10,767, which the residents recalled it was one of a few communities in the state to have electricity. The center was a critical part of the largest single draft resistance movement in the U.S where 85 Japanese American males were imprisoned.

 

 

Jerome Relocation Center

Opened: October 6, 1942

Closed:  June 30, 1944

It was located in Chicot and Drew Counties, Arkansas, 18 miles south of McGehee and 120 miles southeast of Little Rock. The camp reached its maximum population, 8,497, in November 1942. It was the last camp to open and the first one to close for three reasons: it has the smallest population; it was the least developed among the 10 relocation centers, and the Jerome residents could move to the nearby Rohwer Relocation Center to reduce the amount of transportation.

 

 

Manzanar Relocation Center

Opened: March 21, 1942

Closed:  November 21, 1945

The camp was in east-central California, southern Owens Valley. It is 220 miles north of Los Angeles and 250 miles south of Reno, between the towns of Lone Pine and Independence. Summers are hot; winters are cold, and the natural plant in the vicinity is desert scrub. The center was established as the Owens Valley Reception Center, and it was first run by the U.S. Army’s Wartime Civilian Control Administration. It later became the first relocation center to be operated by the War Relocation Authority. The center was the sixth camp to close.

 

 

Minidoka Relocation Center (known as Hunt)

Opened: August 10, 1942

Closed: October 28, 1945

The center was located in Jerome County, Idaho, 15 miles east of Jerome and 15 miles north of Twin Falls. The maximum population was 7,318, and the evacuees were mainly from Oregon, Washington, and Alaska. In early 1943, under the authority of the first Civilian Exclusion Order, all of the Bainbridge Island residents interned at Manzanar were moved to Minidoka.

 

 

Poston or Colorado River Relocation Center

Opened: May 8, 1942

Closed: November 28, 1945

It was located in La Paz County, Arizona, 12 miles south of the town of Parker. The center was consisted of three separated cantonments nicknamed as Roasten, Toasten, and Dustin. The maximum population was 17,814. The camp was the largest relocation center in the country, and it was the third largest city in Arizona. The evacuees were from the Mayer, Salinas, Santa Anita, and Pinedale assembly centers.

 

 

Rohwer Relocation Center

Opened: September 18, 1942

Closed: November 30, 1945

It was located in Desha County, Arkansas, 11 miles north of McGehee and 110 miles southeast of Little Rock. The maximum population was 8,475. Evacuees were from California, who experienced a three-day train ride from the assembly centers to reach there.

 

 

Topaz or Central Utah Relocation Center

Opened: September 11, 1942

Closed: October 31, 1945

The center was located in west-central Utah, in Millard County near the town of Delta, 140 miles southwest of Salt Lake City. Most of the evacuees were from the San Francisco Bay area, and the maximum population reached 8,130.

 

 

Tule Lake Relocation Center

Opened: May 27, 1942

Closed: March 20, 1946

It was located in Modoc County, California, 35 miles southeast of Klamath Falls, Oregon, and about 10 miles from the town of Tulelake. The internees were from the Marysville, Pinedale, Pomona, Sacramento, and Salinas Assembly Centers. In summer 1943, Tule Lake camp was chosen to be a maximum security segregation facility. One of the camps at Poston was chosen at first, but ultimately, the disloyal were transferred to Lule Lake where had already contained the highest number of disloyal. The maximum population was 18,000, and the center was the last one to close due to the fact that many evacuees at Tule Lake had relinquished their American citizenship.





%d bloggers like this: